Monday, December 3, 2012

Boot Camp Graduation

I had the privilege of attending a Marine Corps boot camp graduation last week.  It was a neat experience.  I've always been fascinated by the military, the Marines especially, so to see it up close like this was really cool.  To see the guys do drill and to hear the stories and see the base and training facility was surreal.  And of course it was special to me to see my step-son graduate.  

I've only been a part of his life for 6 years, but I feel so close to him.  It was an honor to be included in this event.  In the last 6 years I've watched him grow and mature.  Joining the Marines was something that I knew would happen.  I think I knew it when I first met him and would watch him look at his father with a glimmer in his eye; wanting so desperately to be just like his dad and to have the same stories as his dad.  It wasn't a surprise to me in the least the day he came home from school and said he was talking with a recruiter.

When he left for boot camp 3 months ago, he left an 18 y/o kid who has been having fun his whole life.  When we saw him on Thursday last week, for the first time in 13 weeks, he was a man.  He matured more in 13 weeks than most men do in 4 years of college.  Things finally clicked.  All those lectures and life lessons that his parents tried to teach him finally made sense.  

When he saw a couple of his friends on Saturday they could tell instantly that he had changed.  He's not the hyper jumpy kid he was over the summer.  he's subdued and quiet.  More reserved.  He is part of an elite club now and they have a different mentality.

I'm so proud to say my step-son is a Marine.  He will make an awesome Marine.  He will make this country proud.


_DSC0905.jpg
3 generations - Josh's dad served in the Navy during Vietnam and Josh was in the Marines in Desert Storm
_DSC0908.jpg
Proud Parents (and sister)
_DSC0910.jpg
Happy Little Sister
_DSC0924.jpg
Happy Family
_DSC1026.jpg
Platoon 3254 marching onto the Parade Deck
_DSC1061.jpg
Platoon 3254
_DSC1068.jpg
All the Marines (former and current) were asked to stand!
_DSC1092.jpg

1 comment:

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

How awesome that he grew so much in such a short time. I can tell how proud you all are.