Wednesday, April 3, 2013

40 Verses in 40 Days - a recap

I did it.  I completed my journey of memorizing 40 verses in 40 days.

There were days I had to carve out time to memorize the verse because I was busy.
There were days the verse came easy.
There were days I didn't get the verse memorized.  So I had to do it the next day.
There were days I had so much free time while waiting and standing in line that I could've memorized 2 or 3 verses but instead reviewed.
There were days I didn't have time to review my verses.

But I read my bible daily
I found a verse every day.  Some days they were verses on a list I've been wanting to memorize.  Or part of the chapter I memorized.  Some days they were right out of my reading.  The week leading up to Easter I followed the Holy Week devotions that our pastor created and all my verses were from there.

This was an interesting journey/project.  I learned some new verses that are neat.  I have some new encouraging verses in my head.  I have some new "this is my faith" verses.  And those are great reasons to memorize scripture.  ABSOLUTELY!!!  But mostly, because I added a new verse EVERY DAY and had to review previous verses, it kept me so wrapped up in God's word that my sanity was totally kept in check. I felt calmer about things that should have had me outraged.  I felt closer to God.  And that ... my friend ... was the point of this.

They say it takes 21 times to make a habit.  I did this 40 days.  When I woke up Monday morning and finished reading my bible I felt something missing when I didn't pick a memory verse.

I will continue.  I LOVE it.  I really do.

I think I'm going to work on memorizing 2-3 a week.  Daily was a bit more than I could handle.  But weekly just isn't enough to keep me interested and working on it.

Watch for the return of Memorization Monday.

No comments: