Friday, January 29, 2010

Worship Matters --- Singing of the Gospel

I've started following a new blog called "Worship Matters," by Bob Kauflin.


I'm not a worship leader, I don't even play one on TV.  But I am in close contact with the worship band at church and am friends with the worship leader, have been on a worship team, and like to pretend I could lead worship if needed.  This blog has been really inspiring to me and my heart in the time of worship.  I really like what it has to say today about the cross and Gospel being the focus of our worship time, because it's the center of our salvation story.


I can't really say it any better than he did, so I'll just leave you with a taste of it.   Feel free to hop on over to Worship Matters and read the entry for yourself.  Really good, deep, meaningful stuff in there.


The gospel is not merely one of many possible themes we can touch on as we come to worship God. It is the central and foundational theme. All our worship originates and is brought into focus at the cross of Jesus Christ.
Glorying in Jesus Christ means glorying in his cross. That doesn’t mean looking at some icon or two pieces of wood nailed together. Nor does it imply that every song we sing has the word cross in it. It has little to do with church gatherings that are more like a funeral than a celebration.
The cross stands for all that was accomplished through the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus, the Son of God. It focuses on his substitutionary death at Calvary but includes everything that gave meaning to that act. His preexistent state in glory. His incarnation. His life of perfect obedience. His suffering. His resurrection. His ascension. His present intercession and reign in glory. His triumphant return.

No comments: