Monday, October 4, 2010

Scones

Motto of recent baking: Something simple with few to no special ingredients....


Josh wanted something for breakfast for Sunday morning.  We need quick and easy breakfasts because we now have to be at church by 8.  And because we are there until after noon, we can't wait until we get home.


I started thinking about what we had on hand.  Normally when we're in a pinch like this I do coffee cake.  But we had no apples.  OK.  What else....


Must do some sort of pastry.  But those require rising time, and it was already nearly dinnertime on Saturday.  SCONES!!!  Of course.  We didn't have any dried fruit, so it would have to be a pretty basic scone.  We did have raisins.  And while I'm not a fan of raisins, they would add just enough to the scone to be more than just bread.


Found a quick and easy recipe.  Scones are a pastry.  And I'm not so hot with pastries; I usually over work them and I can't cut the butter into the dry ingredients very well.  The method for this one was exceptionally different.  I didn't have to truly cut the butter in.  I took the butter, frozen, and shredded it in like cheese.  In fact, it looked like a big pile of mozzarella cheese.  Then I just worked it all together with my hands.  It was, by far, the easiest method I've seen for working butter into a flour mixture.  (The next easiest is the food processor method ... but that one is easy to make it too fine a mixture.)


Patted the dough down and cut into triangles.  Baked for the alloted time and voila ... raisin scones.  It was super quick and easy.  Easy enough I will try them again soon, with a different flavor inside.  Not sure what flavor, but something.


It is now fall.  Be on the look out for pumpkin bread, pumpkin pie, pumpkin scones, pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin _________________ (fill in the blank).  I LOVE pumpkin and we have a small pumpkin waiting to be baked to fall goodies!!!

No comments: