Sunday, September 4, 2011

Cloth Diapers without a Washing Machine

A big reason many people don't want to use cloth diapers is because they don't have a way to wash them.  Going to the laundromat is OK once a week for your clothes, but diapers need to be washed more frequently and it's difficult to find the time to get to the laundromat that often. Or perhaps the laundromat just doesn't get the diapers clean enough.

Today I bring you a guest post by an acquaintance of mine who washes her diapers (for 2 babies) by hand.  Here is what she has to say.
___________________
My name is Jessica and I cloth diaper to save money, my babies bums, and the planet!


“Hand” Washing Cloth Diapers with a WonderWash and Electric Spinner

I collect soiled diapers throughout the day in a plastic storage bin without any water, detergent and without rinsing first…I just pile them up in the bin. I wash diapers every morning - we normally end up with 6-10 diapers and 6-10 cloth wipes per day.

I wash using a WonderWash in our bathroom, using the toilet, bathroom sink, and bathtub.

The "WonderWash"

I use Kawaii pocket diapers and BumGenius All-In-Ones, with some hemp inserts here and there. I also use cloth wipes which are cheap baby washcloths.


  1. Don heavy duty rubber cleaning gloves 
  2. Remove all inserts from pocket diapers, and place pee only diapers in sink 
  3. Rinse poopy diapers with the diaper sprayer into the toilet, set in the sink with pee diapers 
  4. Run super-hot over all diapers, swishing, and rinsing…adding them to WonderWash (my WW is setting on top of a shower chair for height in our bath tub) 
  5. Fill WonderWash with hot water (I use a hand held shower head), pouring a bit of detergent (1-2 Tablespoons?) into water stream (I use Sun Burst Free and Clear) 
  6. Lock on lid 
  7. Turn for 60 seconds 
  8. Drain water. I find it so much easier and faster to just dump the WW upside down, rather than use the drain pipe 
  9. Repeat steps 4-8 (minus detergent) 2 more times for 30 seconds to continue to rinse 
  10. Place clothes in spinner for 3 minutes 
  11. Hang diapers and inserts outside on clothes line to dry (wipes go directly back into wipes warmer without drying



Indoor Diaper Chandelier and Special Helper

No comments: