Monday, July 19, 2010

What happened to Memorization Monday?

It's been several weeks since I've done a Memorization Monday.  You may be wondering what happened to it.  So am I.



I converted my paper verse cards to an electronic flash card app for my phone.  I've been working on my verses that way.  I didn't realize how many I was rusty on.  So I'm trying to get all those down before I add more to my list.  Many are older verses that I memorized in college.  They are good verses and I'm remembering my reasons for memorizing them.  It's been an interesting journey, doing that.

I'll leave you with a verse that I memorized when I was about 8 and in a church musical called The Music Machine.  We are currently doing a sermon series based on this scripture, so I wanted to share it with my readers.

Galatians 5:22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.  Against such things there is no law.

Too often the last phrase is left off.  I think it's a very important phrase, which applies directly to the 4 verses preceding the "fruit of the spirit."
Gal 5:18-21
But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law. The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery;idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
If we live by the Spirit, and let the Holy Spirit lead and direct us, we will have amazing benefits such as peace, and joy.  And patience .. which I am constantly told is a virtue, and not one easy to learn.  When we live by the flesh, we are OF the world.  and speaking from personal experience in many of those flesh states, it is a very dark, dirty, and scary place to remain.  I much prefer to live in the Spirit.

No comments: