Monday, February 2, 2009

Reflections on a Sermon - 2/1/09


Sermons Series: The Jesus Life
Sermon Title: Live Water for Thirsty Souls

Text:

Psalm 42:1-2
1As the deer pants for the water brooks,
So my soul pants for You, O God.
2My soul thirsts for God, for the living God;
When shall I come and appear before God?


Psalm 63:1
1O God, You are my God; I shall seek You earnestly;
My soul thirsts for You, my flesh yearns for You,
In a dry and weary land where there is no water.


John 4:13-14
13Jesus answered and said to her, "Everyone who drinks of this water will thirst again;

14but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life."


Revelation 22:1-2
1Then he showed me a river of the water of life, clear as crystal, coming from the throne of God and of the Lamb,
2in the middle of its street On either side of the river was the tree of life, bearing twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit every month; and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.


Application:

There is a theme throughout the bible of living water flowing through us. Gen 2, Psalm 63, Isaiah 44:1-5, Revelation 22 and many more. In Genesis, the stream of living water was turned off because we turned our backs on God at the fall. In Isaiah, God says He will pour living water on dry ground and His spirit will descend upon us. Rev 22 shows us how the living water is lifegiving and, when consumed, one will grow and be fruitful in life.

God provides a stream of living water and He is the source of the lifegiving water. The streams of living water symbolize never going thirsty or hungry again.

We see this when Jesus speaks to the woman at the well in John 4. He tells the woman that a well of water will spring up to eternal life.

Getting the living water is not about our giving of ourselves or anything that we can do. It's about receiving. Stopping what we're doing and accept the living water that God is offering. And it's daily.

There are barriers that we encounter in our lives that prevent us from receiving.

*busy-ness
We are overwhelmed with time committments and don't stop to open up to the Spirit of God. We need to make time to drink and RECEIVE.

*Passionate Pursuit of Good things
We often pursue so many good things, we don't have time to pursue God.

*None of things satisfy out thirst. They are substitutes for the real thing.

The river flows from the heart of God and His love. He came to restore the rivers of LIFE.
Jesus says, "I came that you may have life and have it to the fullest."

Key Verse:
There are two that I like this week. Psalm 63:1 and Rev 22:1-2. I'm going to memorize Psalm 63:1. I like the following imagery: "In a dry and weary land, my sould thirsts for you." It's a reminder that when I thirst, to stop and take a drink.

No comments: