Thursday, January 12, 2012

Pop Culture Reflection ...

So I saw this somewhat funny/satirical article posted and read it and was annoyed.  But couldn't put a finger on why.  Then my annoyance went to insulted and offended, but still couldn't put it into words.  It took me a little bit, but I finally figured it out:



Who’s to say that God didn’t intervene in the tornado, or other things that were listed.  We don’t know how God chose to act in each situation – maybe a single baby was saved; someone stayed late at work to finish something up and didn’t get in the tornado’s path; a family had just enough time to get to shelter; etc. 

Look at Job.  Job couldn’t hear the conversations that God and Satan were having.  He just knew that his family was gone, he was sick, his possessions were gone, etc.  But God was there the entire time.  God was protecting Job by talking with Satan first.  By giving Satan boundaries. 

Tebow is praising God and thanking God and recognizing that his athletic ability isn’t his own.  And while God may not have a part in a win or a touchdown, God did give Tebow the talent and he’s giving credit where credit is due.  Tebow is one man doing what God commanded His people to do, to go forth and multiply, baptizing nations.  To spread the word.  To not be ashamed of the gospel.  Tebow has done nothing wrong in his outspoken faith, and I'm constantly offended at the display the media has made of him.  

Hats off to you, Tim Tebow, for being more graceful and gracious and forgiving than I could be in your shoes.  Thank you for being the example of praising God for your gifts and turning the other cheek.

3 comments:

majellamom said...

Yeah, I had a similar reaction to you when I clicked through. I can't point to something for each of the "no"s on that list, but as for the genocide in Rwanda, i have heard a woman who survived it tell her story and how it deepened her faith. Her webiste is: http://www.immaculee.com/
She has an amazing story, and an amazing faith, even through all the loss and difficulties she has faced.

Canadian Atheist said...

Actually, Jesus said to pray in a closet rather than pray in public for attention. Tebow is in direct violation of what Jesus said.

And why would God save one person and allow millions of others to die of starvation or drown in a flood?

Come on...seriously. You think God is taking time out to help a football player while kids die of hunger in Africa with bloated stomachs and fly infested bodies?

Unknown said...

Dear Canadian Atheist,

Thank you very much for your honest and thought provoking comment and please forgive my slightly discombobulated reply since I'm typing this while trying to keep a 13 month old calm.

I believe the passage to which you are referring is Matthew 6.

5 "And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

But you are taking this out of context. Jesus is referring to them praying and making themselves seem holier than everyone else and "proving" how holy they are by all their prayers. What Tim Tebow does is akin to a family bowing their heads in a restaurant before a meal. It is made a spectacle by the media, but he would continue to do it if it weren't such a big deal to the media (which in all likelihood doesn't understand it, which is why it's such a spectacle).

I'm not arguing that God is helping Tim Tebow win football games. There are Christians on several teams (Palamolu on the Steelers for instance) and both teams can't physically win.

Do I think that God is taking time out of his "busy schedule" to help a football player win and ignoring someone in Africa? Absolutely not. Because God is omnipotent and can do both at the same time. Do I think God guides the ball into the hands of a receiver so that they can have a "miraculous" comeback in the 4th quarter when their opponent was sure they had it all wrapped up? Nope. Not one bit. If that was the case then I wouldn't stress out over watching my Broncos play. And they would not have lost to the Patriots. And their winning would be a sure thing in the Super Bowl. And Vegas wouldn't have a chance of winning any bets. But I do believe that God cares what His people do and how they choose to act in life and how they honor and glorify Him.

Tim Tebow is using his position of a football player to bring glory to God. To honor his Lord and Savior. He is thanking God and praising God.

Jesus also tells us to go and make disciples. Matthew 28:19
19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

I know that His desire for all people is to find salvation and God will save all who come to repentance. (John 3:16, 2 Peter 3:9, Romans 5:8 and MANY more).

Why would God save one and allow for millions to die? I can't answer that. I'm not God and I don't know His ultimate will and plans. I do know that He has one, though.

God cares about all of us; he knows the numbers of hairs on our heads (Matthew 10:30), he cares when a sparrow falls to the ground (Matthew 10:29). So to say that he doesn't care when there are starving children in Africa is wrong.

It is my job here on earth to bring Glory to God. Period. Whether that's through a blog or by being humble after winning a football game. Or if it's how I react to a co-worker who belittles me and my work. Or if it's how I brag or don't brag about my accomplishments and my children.


And I recommend reading the following, which says it much better than I ever can:

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/01/does-god-care-whether-tim-tebow-wins-on-saturday/251273/