Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Expecting a newborn...

I suppose it's no secret that I'm expecting a baby.  In case you hadn't heard ... I'm expecting a baby.  Baby girl is due in December and will be delivered by a scheduled c-section (unless of course the hospital comes to their senses and let me try for a natural birth).


It's also not a secret that we use cloth diapers.  I've become a HUGE proponent of cloth diapers.  I refuse to buy disposables.  I will take any obstacle with the cloth and figure out how to overcome it.  That's how important it is to me to use the cloth.  (BTW --- we've been using cloth diapers exclusively since end of May.)


Trying to decide the most economical and feasible way to use cloth diapers on our new baby, I found someone willing to let me borrow her XS diapers.  I was ecstatic!!!  To add to the stash, because I know that I'll be a little busy and will want as big of a stash as possible, I've also started making my own diapers.


I was very excited to read the following blog post on using cloth diapers on a newborn.


Things I have learned about cloth diapering a newborn. When my son, HB, was five months old, I had to put away all his newborn diapers. As I did this, I kept thinking about all the trials and errors that I’ve had with cloth diapering. Here are some of the things that I’ve learned:

  1. Gussets are awesome! Because breastfed stool is so runny, it can easily squish out of a diaper.
  2. Your Birdseye prefolds aren’t really prepped until there’s very little lint in your dryer.
  3. You don’t have to fold diapers but you might want to so that you can put them on the baby correctly in the middle of a long sleepless night. You avoid lots of accidents and get more sleep that way.
  4. Prefolds must be all inside the diaper. Any part of it sticking out leads to leakage. And make sure that all-in-ones or pockets haven’t folded over in the back. This can also cause leaks.
  5. Get a supply of inserts or doublers, which are really the same thing. I had heard you needed them at night for older babies, but never realized that because newborn stool is so watery it can seep through the prefold into the cover.
 Please read the whole blog post over at The Cloth Diaper Whisperer.  Great tips, even for non-newborns!

No comments: