Saturday, April 4, 2009

Insomnia


Being pregnant, I'm getting used to not sleeping through the night. Good practice for when the baby is born.

The last few nights, I've woken up around 1:30 or 2 and laid away in bed for up to 2 hours tossing and turning trying to fall back asleep. Last night I had a memory of not being able to sleep when I was growing up.

I was probably 7 or 8. I was put to bed at bedtime and just laid there not sleeping for an hour or so. I got up and went to the living room to tell mom that I couldn't sleep. Normally she would tell me to go back to bed, but this night was different. She turned the TV off and let me sit on the couch with her cuddling. She pulled out a book, "The Golden Treasury of Children's Literature," and read to me. I vividly remember the voices that she did of the Tar baby and Brair Rabbit. Stories that today would probably be considered inappropriate and banned from elementary school libraries. They were fun and I enjoyed reading them with mom.

No comments: