Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Julie and Julia ... and my own adventures

On Mother's Day, Josh and I watched Julie and Julia.  I was hesitant to watch the movie because I've always cringed at the sound of Julia Child's voice.  But it seemed like such a cute movie and I was in a mood for a cute story.  It really was a lot of fun.  Meryl Streep does a fantastic job as Julia Child.  And I just love Stanley Tucci as her husband.  Amy Adams is beyond cute and does a great job portraying Julie Powell (although not knowing Julie Powell, I have no idea how accurate her portrayal is).  At any rate, we really enjoyed ourselves.  There wasn't a huge conspiracy, there was very little language, there were only a couple sexual references - and those were within the contexts of marriage.  It was just real life.  



I was inspired by Julie Powell's story.  I may look for her book and read HER version of her story.  I think I also want to buy Julia Child's cookbook.

I was so inspired by her story that I'm feeling moved to bake more often.  I love baking.  It's relaxing.  I feel accomplished.  I have created something.  I feel like I can call myself a cakewright, or a cookiewright.  Some people know that I have a notsosecret ambition to open my own bakery someday.  That requires lots of practice.  I have been trying to bake something every weekend - some weekends it just doesn't happen.

I would like to follow Julie Powell's example and really be diligent about this and set a plan to bake and I think I may even blog about it.  I need something to keep me honest.  I haven't yet decided if I want to blog here in my Contemplations or if I want to start a new blog (that would be 4 that I keep updated.....).  I'll keep thinking about that.

In the meantime, this weekend I'm going to make Candied Orange Slices, and I'm thinking I'll try my hand at some Petit Fours.  Those probably won't go well, but I want to try anyway.

1 comment:

BringerOfLight said...

Cool! I love that movie!